Becoming Fools!

Saturday, May 9, 2009

I'm Back

So after a long year and half (or longer), I have decided to return to blogging.

I have just finished up my third year of photography at the Alberta College of Art and Design.  It was a good but hard year.  It had it's up and downs of doubts, and discouragements that had to be overcome.  Sometimes I wondered if this was what I was really meant to do.
Looking back, one of the biggest highlights was learning about documentary photography from one of my teachers, George Webber.  I had the opportunities explore the streets of down town Calgary by doing a small documentary about street kids and a Ministry called Streetlight and exploring the infamous Cecil Hotel.  The Cecil Photographs I put together in a book.  You can view or purchase the book here:
The Cecil
By Stephanie Jager

These two experiences have made me realize the documentary photography is one of the major areas that I want to pursue.  

My photo documentary on the street kids at Streetlight has given me some encouragement in various forms.  I received the Photography Major Public Service Award/Scholarship this year, which was very exciting.  And on May 15th, one of the photographs will be published in Calgary's Swerve Magazine

I am very excited for this summer, the possibilities that keep rolling in.  On June 1 I leave for Mexico with my boyfriend to do a ten day mission trip.  One of my main projects/goals for the trip is to publish a photo documentary book the rehab center and orphanage we are going too.  All the proceeds of the book will be donated to the rehab center and orphanage (I'll keep you posted).  Throughout the summer I will also be volunteering and continuing to photograph the streetkids at Streetlight.  I am also currently in the works of setting up another photo documentary project with a convent for retired nuns.  

So this is a bit of what is going on right now.  I'll try to be back very soon with some photographs of this past school year's latest adventures.  It is getting late and I'm slowly loosing consciousness. Ciao for now.  

2 comments:

Kate said...

It is great to have you back blogging. I am definately excited to see more of your work. I know we don't get to chat much but you are one of those people that brings a smile to my face whenever I think of you. Cheering you on where ever you go. :)

Kate

Haven said...

Thanks for your site.

ShareThis